Sunday, February 22, 2009

Yesterday (February 21st) was Ali's birthday, so I pulled out the photo albums and reminisced about my homestay student from Turkey. He was 16 and 17 in these pictures--full of life and laughter! He was also full of action and, just like the energizer bunny, he kept going, and going and.....

Here are my favorite memories of Ali from 1994 and 1995.

Making shish kabobs for the barbecue.

Roller blading on our quiet street.


Suited up for ice hockey.

Practicing at the ice rink.

Challenging Takashi (Japan) to a game of tennis.


Dwarfed by a Clydesdale at the county fair.

Lifting weights with my son and me!


Ali's just waiting--aaeeiiii--Mama's going down!

Ali and my son, Allen--both excellent cooks!


And here he is today! Still cooking--the famous Chef Ali!

With his wife and son. What a beautiful family!

Happy 31st Birthday, my dear 'son' from Turkey. You've done very well and your American 'Mom' is downright proud of you!

6 comments:

  1. What a great history and connection. How uplifting it must be for him to have someone like you in his life. Beautiful family. LOVED the pics of you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where does he live now? Is he really famous?
    (I've been blogging so much, that I've lost touch with the real world, hee-hee.)
    boys, these kids keep you busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is he in the US? His wife looks very American.
    Happy Birthday Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's wonderful that you have such great pictures and memories and of Ali - and of all your "kids"!! What a lucky woman you are. :-)

    Happy Birthday Ali !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Robynn,
    Thanks for your kind words. Yes, those pics were taken when I was looking a lot younger and still had my black hair! My favorite pic is of Ali and me arm wrestling. I chuckle at the look on his face. Unlike me, he wasn't even straining. He was just playing with me--letting me think I had some pretty good muscle. But when he was ready, I didn't have a ghost's chance--he took me down in a split second. Oh the humility! :-}

    Libby,
    Ali is back home in Turkey. And, yes, in his area of Turkey, he is is well-known and quite famous. Being a good host mother does take time, but it is so enjoyable and worth it, I think.

    Evy,
    Ali is back in Turkey and his wife is also from there. But I know what you mean about her looking very 'American.'

    Katie, Thanks for your kind words. I have many wonderful pictures and memories. And, yes, I feel really, really blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun :) great photos!!!

    oh! I just wanted to let you know that my domain name is expiring soon, so I've gone back to being hosted at blogspot, so my new address is bridgetbeaver.blogspot.com
    :)

    ReplyDelete