Saturday, January 24, 2009

I Should Practice What I Preach!

I often encourage my friends with these verses:
“Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God your needs and don’t forget to thank him for his answers. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand.” Philippians 4:6,7 (Living Bible)

My homestay students like to kick back and relax with their friends on Friday evenings. It’s the one night they don’t have to worry about any homework due the next day. Last night none of them were home for dinner, so I decided to visit my friends, Mitra and Esmaeil, who moved to the USA from Iran many years ago. I love Mitra’s cooking, so going to their house for dinner is an absolute treat. We had such a good time last night that I didn’t get home until midnight!

As I pulled into the driveway I could see that my students’ bedroom lights were out—not surprising since I didn’t expect them back until 1:00 a.m. (I don’t impose curfews on them, but I do ask when they expect to be home.)

1:00 a.m.: Everyone’s home except Toshi.
2:00 a.m.: Surely he’s on his way.
3:00 a.m.: Where is he?
I considered calling him, but didn’t want to be a ‘hovering mother’ and embarrass him in front of his friends.

I finally drifted into a fitful sleep--my subconscious working overtime fabricating a reason for why Toshi was so late! Suddenly there they were—Toshi and his friends—and all of them with glazed-over, bloodshot eyes! I recognized that look! This was illegal, and they were all under-age! I was upset and faced them squarely--ready to give them ‘heck.’ And then I woke up!

My heart pounded in my chest. It’s not often I have a dream so real! I got out of bed and tip-toed down the hall to Toshi’s room, quietly opening the door. Streetlight filtered through the blinds and I could see his form under the covers. Had he just come home? But no, his breathing was slow and rhythmic, and the light in the entryway was still on--good indications he'd been there awhile. Hmmm.

So this morning I casually asked him when he had gotten home last night. “Oh, about 9:00 p.m.,”he said. “I was so tired I just went straight to bed!” He had been there the whole evening! He started chuckling when I told him my dream. “My friends don’t even smoke,” he said.

So there you have it. The only person losing sleep had been me! I had worried needlessly--had worried myself right into a nightmare. I should have known better. I should have prayed, relaxed and gone to sleep. I should have practiced what I preach!

Hoping I learned my lesson this time,

Love,

Homestay Mama

3 comments:

  1. Homestay Mama, I love your blog. I was a homestay student when I studied abroad in Japan. Your blog has a really great insight that I was not privy to with my host mother. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, HM, for the reminder to keep ourselves from worry and fretfulness....especially when we don't have all the facts. Love your wisdom. :~)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stan uses that verse on me often.
    Great story. I could relate completely.

    ReplyDelete